A Jamaican standard, fresh chicken marinated in traditional jerk sauce. Serve with a chilled drink to offset the spiciness of the marinade.
If you want a quick version, buy ready-made jerk seasoning from the supermarket and rub it into the chicken before grilling or baking.
- 1 whole chicken, halved1 lime, halved
- 4-5tbsp of jerk rub seasoning (see below)
- Pinch salt
- Jerk rub
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1tsp ground allspice
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 4tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup spring or salad onions, including the green bits
- 1/4tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 small jalapeno peppers
- 2tbs cooking oil (olive or vegetable)
- 2tsp salt
- Splash of rum
- Lime wedges
- Put all the jerk ingredients into food processor or blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- Rub the chicken with the lime and salt, then rub the jerk paste into them. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight for the best results.
- Preheat a barbecue grill to medium high. Barbecue should be on medium-low heat. Grill the chicken for about 45 minutes, turning often to optimize cooking and browning. Or you can do it in the oven, heated to 190°C/425°F/gas 5.
- Let chicken sit for 10 minutes before cutting into quarters. Serve with rice and lime wedges.